Thursday, June 12, 2008

Time to go....


I cannot believe I finally made the decision to quit. This is such a hard decision because I really like this job. Since the day I work here, I met lots of amazing people. They're tanents, electrician, handyman, big boss of real estate agent, bosses from other small businesses. They are all very nice people. Since many artists have rent our building, I actually met quite a few amazing artists here and became friends. It is very very important for me, as a migrant, to have this opportunity to meet all these nice people and feel welcomed. All of these people made me understand that when I am nice to people, no matter what background I am, they'll be nice to me.

I love this job because my position is to help people. Whenever tanents called, I am willing to try my best to give them a hand. It's nice to be nice. Of course sometimes things go beyond my ability to help, but at least, I always try my best. I feel so good when I know I can help someone.

But helping people is not always the right thing to do. Helping people sometimes get me into big trouble. I still remember not long after I started working here a guy from the building behind us kept calling because their electricity supply has some problems. However, the main switch board is in our building so they have to get access to our building to fix the problem. At first I didn't know I can't let anyone go to our basement, so I got so screwed when I let their electrician in. The second time with the same problem I really wanted to help, but my boss didn't give a shit. The third time when that tanent threaten to sue my boss then my boss let them fix the electricity. But still, they haven't got their door fix till now and I have no idea how can people stay in a place without a proper door.

The thing about this job is I got to know so many unfair and immoral things going on here. I know one of our building has no electricity, no lift services, (there's a lift actually but doesn't work), leaking everywhere, all it has is birds and rats. Popele complain everyday but the thing is my boss doesn't care. If people are late to pay rent, we lock people up straight away. If you want us to do something, it may takes months. Whatever reason you call, the only answer you get is NO NO NO.

Some people have no problem with this kind of job, but for me it's tough. I hate doggy things. I dont' like this kind of unfair and immoral things. If I am the tenant, I am 200% sure I will report to the police, newspaper and TV ages ago. I cannot allow this kind of things happen around me but now I am doing it everyday. That's why I am so struggle and upset. I feel sorry and guilty but yet it's not my fault...

I don't have a choice but to move on.

When I told my collegue Eric I am going he almost cried. Eric is my only friend here. He's an 85 years old man with lots of stories to tell. He is unbelivable. He still remember every single details when he was fighting the war. He still remember the street name when he visit Hong Kong 20 years ago. Hong Kong is my brith place but Erice knew more than I do. He is full of interesting history stories. Even his pants are older than me. Yesterday he shown me his watch which is 35 years old !! I wonder how can he keep everything for so long.... I can't even wear my shoes for more than 2 months...

Anyway, we have a very very good time. Eric was very upset when he knew I am going. He said I am the brightess person he has ever met. He said I am fun and I have good attitude. He enjoys working because I make the place happier. He said a lot of nice things about me but I don't want to write them down here. I want to keep them to my heart.

This morning Eric asked me if I have changed my mind. I said no and he said maybe he'll quit... ah.... I feel terrible. The reason why I don't want to work here because I don't want to feel guilty and sad. If Eric really quit because of me, I will feel bad forever.

Anyway, Eric said he knows I will go soon because my personality doesn't allow me to work here. I hope he really understand don't quit....

No comments: